WEnRV travel news, products, and industry trends
Best RV Routes in Austria
Austria offers stunning landscapes and picturesque routes that are perfect for RV (recreational vehicle) travel. The country's well-maintained roads, beautiful Alpine scenery, and charming villages make it a fantastic destination for RV enthusiasts. Here are some of the best RV routes in Austria:
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Großglockner Hochalpenstraße): This iconic route is one of Austria's most famous scenic drives. It takes you through the heart of the Hohe Tauern National Park, offering breathtaking views of snow-capped peaks, glaciers, and alpine meadows. The road winds its way through a series of switchbacks, and there are several scenic viewpoints along the way. Make sure your RV is prepared for the steep ascent and narrow passages.
- Danube Cycle Path (Donauradweg): While primarily a cycling route, the Danube Cycle Path also runs parallel to the Danube River and is suitable for RV travel. It offers a relaxed journey through charming villages, historic towns, and vineyards. You can park your RV at designated campsites along the route and explore the scenic surroundings.
- Austrian Lake District (Salzkammergut): The Salzkammergut region is known for its pristine lakes, rolling hills, and charming lakeside villages. You can explore this area in your RV, visiting famous lakes like Wolfgangsee, Hallstättersee, and Mondsee. The drive offers picturesque views and opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Tyrolean Alps: The Tyrolean region in western Austria is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts and RV travelers. The region offers scenic mountain passes, alpine lakes, and charming villages. You can explore the towns of Innsbruck, Kufstein, and Kitzbühel while enjoying stunning mountain vistas.
- Wachau Valley: Located along the Danube River, the Wachau Valley is known for its terraced vineyards, historic towns, and medieval castles. The route through the Wachau Valley is perfect for RV travel, offering opportunities to sample local wines and enjoy the scenic beauty.
- Styrian Wine Country (Steirische Weinstraße): Southern Styria is known for its rolling vineyards and picturesque landscapes. The Styrian Wine Country route takes you through charming wine villages and offers the chance to taste some of Austria's finest wines.
- Bavarian Lakes and Austrian Alps: If you're starting your journey in Germany, consider a route that takes you through Bavaria's beautiful lakes and then into the Austrian Alps. This route offers a mix of natural beauty and cultural attractions.
- Austrian Romantic Road (Österreichische Romantikstraße): Similar to the famous German Romantic Road, this route in Austria takes you through picturesque towns, medieval castles, and scenic countryside. It's a great choice for RV travelers looking for a leisurely journey.
When embarking on an RV trip in Austria, it's important to plan ahead and research campsite locations, road conditions, and any special permits or regulations that may apply to RV travel. Additionally, be prepared for mountainous terrain and narrow roads in some regions. Enjoy the stunning Austrian landscapes and the freedom of RV travel in this beautiful country.